A CDC study estimates that nearly half of American adults suffer from gum disease. Gum disease, or periodontitis, is a very serious disease affecting the teeth, gums and mouth. It can cause deep pits, soreness, bleeding and tooth decay, sometimes eventually resulting in tooth loss. Dr. Fuming Li offers periodontal treatments to patients in Voorhees and Millville, New Jersey in order to keep everyone’s gums healthy for as long as possible.
Why You Should Take Care of Gum Disease
Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss among adults. Yet many people have no idea that they have gum disease until their teeth start to loosen or cause them severe pain. It’s important to see a dentist that offers periodontic treatment like Dr. Fuming Li as soon as you start developing these symptoms or conditions:
- Red, swollen or bleeding gums
- Chronic bad breath or a sour taste in your mouth
- Receding gums
- Deep pockets between the teeth and gums
- Teeth that appear to have shifted or feel loose
- Changes in your bite pattern
- Pain while eating
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
Even if the above conditions don’t apply to you, regularly visiting our dentist in Millville can help prevent your smile from developing these symptoms. Prevention is the best solution to most oral health problems, so see Dr. Fuming Li to ensure that you stay free of gum disease.
Periodontal Services We Offer
- Scaling and Root Planing: Patients with mild or moderate gum disease usually benefit from scaling and root planing. During this procedure, Dr. Fuming Li will remove hardened plaque and bacteria from under your gumline, and then smooth out the recently cleaned area.
- Gingivectomy: If your case of periodontitis cannot be cured with antibiotics or scaling and root planing, you may need a gingivectomy. During this treatment, Dr. Li will remove loose, diseased gum tissue to get rid of the pockets between the teeth and gums.
- Crown lengthening surgery: Do you feel that your smile looks gummy? Crown lengthening surgery by our Millville dentist can improve the tooth-to-gum ratio of your smile, leaving it looking more proportional.
- Soft tissue grafting: Patients with receded gums can benefit from gum grafting surgery. Dr. Li can take tissue from your palate and graft it to your gums in order to cover exposed roots.
- Arestin®: When placed in a periodontal pocket, Arestin maintains a high-level of antibiotic right at the gum disease site without exposing the rest of the body to antibiotics.
Protect Gum Health Today! Visit Dr. Li
Your gums make up an important part of your smile. To keep them in their best shape, be sure to schedule a visit to our dental practices in Millville, NJ and Voorhees, NJ. We look forward to helping you maintain a beautiful and healthy smile!